Put a freeze on winter fires
Home fires occur more in winter than in any other season. Heating is the 2nd leading cause of winter fires, after cooking.
To help keep you and your family safe consider the following:
- Keep flammable materials at least 3 ft away from any heat source
- Keep any portable generators outside and as far from your home as possible. An attached garage is NOT outside.
- Install Carbon Monoxide detectors and test them monthly.
- If you have a fireplace have it inspected annually.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container outside at least 10 feet from any structures.
- Plug only 1 heat producing appliance into an electrical outlet at a time, and never into a power strip or extension cord.
Read more from the NFPA